Summer is going to be over soon. One of my friends lives high in the mountains, and she had 3″ of snow yesterday—weak, slushy snow, but still snow.
As the summer draws to a close, a lot of my friends are going off for weekends hiking and camping by lakes. Some of these friends are new parents, and they ask me how to take care of their babies while camping—how to use cloth diapers on the road, how to keep their babies entertained, and how to protect them from the sun since sunscreen is not recommended for infants.
- Stay in the shade whenever possible and use an umbrella at the park or the beach where there are no trees.
- Stay out of the sun during peak hours especially
- Keep babies covered with light clothing
- Always have the baby wear a hat
- Use an all-natural sunscreen for older babies and toddlers when they are no longer putting hands in their hands in their mouths
Nature Mom uses these non-toxic sun protection suits for both of her children at the pool and at the beach. These are less messy than sunscreen, and they offer great protection. This is a great time of year to look for summer bargains because most retailers are starting to put them on sale as they prepare for back to school specials and (if you can believe it!) the holiday season.