When new parents meet the idea of cloth diapers, it can become overwhelming very fast if they don’t know how to narrow the choices based on their needs and preferences. Over the next few weeks, we will write about the differences and advantages of major styles of diapers.
- All-in-One Diapers (AIO)
- Pocket Diapers
- Fitted Diapers
- Prefolds & Flat Diapers
All-in-One Diapers – AIO Diapers
Every diaper equation has to include at least two parts: moisture absorbency and moisture resistance. True all-in-one diapers include both of these parts in one package with no extra pieces to add or subtract. These diapers are often sized (small, medium, or large) because the absorbency inside is included edge to edge rather than added in a separate piece down the center.
There are many diapers that are almost all-in-one with only one extra piece that is changed. A popular variation on the AIO is the AI2 or all-in-two diaper, which requires just two pieces to keep a baby happy and dry.
The Thirsties Duo Diaper shown above is an all-in-two, as the name “Duo” suggests.
The Easy Fit Cloth Diaper below from Tots Bots takes advantage of that idea of a separate absorbent piece without it being completely separate. This is still technically an all-in-one and a one-size pocket diaper that won’t require you to go through the wash and match up diaper pieces.
All-in-one Cloth Diaper Advantages
- Easy, easy, easy.
- Nothing to learn, just wrap it around.
- Toss the whole thing into the wash without any fuss.
- Works well for the resisters, like the occasional father or grandmother.
- A sized all-in-one diaper fits without excess fabric you get with one-size diapers.
- A lot of cute colors and prints to choose from.
If parents are looking for a cloth diapering option that requires them to learn nothing new, just snap and go, this works. No need to look further.
All-in-One Cloth Diaper Disadvantages
- For a true all-in-one diaper that doesn’t have the absorbent layer detached, it can be difficult to clean an AIO. There are a lot of layers to get water and detergent through.
- And, it can take a long time to dry an AIO.
- More expensive to buy a full set of diapers (but still cheaper than disposables).
All-in-two diapers solve the issues of difficulty washing and long drying times. With these you trade a little, tiny bit of fuss for a lot less washing fuss.
Saturday, we’ll tell you what our customers think of all-in-one diapers.